Wednesday 16 March 2016

Speaking with Paula

After a good chat with Paula on Monday evening, my head feels a bit clearer on what tasks I should be getting stuck in to. For example, the literature as previously mentioned in one of my blogs became a struggle as I know there is lots out there, but finding what is relevant to me and my topic is what is hard to narrow down. 

Paula advised me to think of key words that relate to my inquiry, and more importantly what I am aiming to find out. This will then show clearer links to my ideas in my inquiry. 
Having said that, I had a few very helpful comments from Jess a fellow BAPPs colleague on my blog, who mentioned to me about a book she had read by Faulty and Savage (2011) regarding leadership and 'what should leaders be?' This feels interesting to discover as the interviewees who I will be speaking with are teachers at the arts centre (PDSW) and also leaders in they're department so as I thought about this more, lots of words and ideas began to role off my tongue and by the power of google I found relevant theories.

The book by Faulty and Savage,(2011) explores ideas relating to specifically what a teacher should be. Using phrases like 'mentor', 'leader', 'counsiller' 'advisor'.
'A mentor is someone who helps another person to become what that person aspires to be' (Montreal CEGEP,1988)
At PDSW, being a community arts centre, the role of a teacher or director has to be to inspire and mentor in that specific field of dance. It makes sense to have a teacher who is qualified at that profession to be mentoring you into what you aspire to be, as Montreal puts it. This along with the motivation theories link well to explain what a good leader is made up of. As previously mentioned and discussed, to gain success off individuals who are learning, the teacher has to be motivational - its imperative in my opinion. I will discuss this topic in my interview with the head of dance at PDSW to grasp her view, but also touching on it within my literature does link into my professional inquiry. Looking back into Module 1 when I blogged about motivational theories, Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, (1943) outlines the relation to how people can be motivated to achieve certain needs through a 5 stage process. Once one need is fulfilled, a person instinctively seeks to fulfil the next one. Would this be focused on the students or the teachers at PDSW? Having looked at conflicting theroies to this like Alderfers ERG Theroy (1969), the 3 stages in his analysis suggest that peoples needs will vary from person to person so therefore motivational needs that are required by leaders must be adaptable. It will be interesting to see with my interviews with leaders at PDSW how I can relate these theories of motivation to there roles at the arts centre. Without leaders and teachers who work for the company, how would it run or be successful?
Please see below a diagram which I found online at www.mindtools.com that shows the relation of the two theories on motivation.


Comparison of Alderfer's ERG Theory and Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs


The behavioural theories for leadership were other interesting reads that I began to link in with my ideas on the arts centre. The whole idea behind the arts centre is to inspire and deliver high quality experiences to those who want to part take in dance, no matter the ability. It is there to promote healthy living and well-being to those who may not have experienced this before. The people behind the organisation are what holds it together, you have to be the right person to work, have the right attitude, have the right behavioural skills. I found a theory called the Path-Goal theory which is discovering the best leadership style created by Robert House (1971). Path-Goal Theory helps you identify an effective approach to leadership, based on what your people want and your current situation. This again I hope to link in with some of the answers that i predict to get from the head of dance at PDSW, as her insight to how she leads and delegates roles to in order for all areas to be run sufficiently. 

I will continue on this path of literature to discover different areas which I can elaborate on for my inquiry.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steph,

    After talking to Paula what would you say that your key words are?

    I was also just thinking from the point of view of someone who is taking on a mentoring or leadership role how easy is it for them to see themselves in that role? We are all at different points in our lives and careers. We may not see ourselves as inspirational (as we are all working towards our own goals) but others may look up to us. How important do you think it is to recognise your own achievements before you can take on this type of role?

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,

    Thank you for commenting and bringing up these points, Paula did ask me for Key words which would help me within my literature. I noted down a few but narrowed it down to;
    Success, Leadership, Dance, Community
    These are the words I am using a lot throughout my inquiry process.

    From a personal point of view, I understand what you mean as recently I have been given a promotion at work and although I still feel the same, people are talking to me slightly differently than perhaps they previously were and also expecting a lot more of me. This is something i relish and enjoy but has taken me a while to adjust to. This is something i would like to touch on in my interview questions to gage from the leader themselves how they feel about their role.

    Thanks Lisa!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. googled them together - too much - but separate these - interesting about management of community dance as a central idea Stephanie - so your professionals are using ideas to shape their practice - not surprising - as in many arts - professionals make it look easy when the ideas and actions that go into community arts are complex
    so social and cultural ideas - why do we need community arts?
    Try key words on Summon again!

    ReplyDelete