Monday 2 November 2015

5B Codes of practice findings

As I began to research into codes of practice that are relevant to my practice, I was able to understand a bit better the reasoning behind some legislations.
For example, I am now aware that the goverment legislation from the department of education is a statutory guidance for governing bodies of maintaing schools which every school must adhere to. I was able to find that the behaviour policy which is reviewed over a course of  another couple of years, states the guidance to school up keep as behaviour of students can be detrimental to a schools reputation. Please see below some examples which I have plucked out of the research;

Screening and Searching Pupils - this is relevant when a teacher or head of department feels it is necessary to search a student under the belief they have items which may be banned from the school property and this can warrant the search to take place. I found this interesting as without research I would have probably looked at this in confusion as to searching and screening shouldn't be allowed in students personal belongings, however the act states that the governing body should not try and hinder the teachers authority or power over the student if they are wrong doing. This I can now start to make sense of. It would be the irresponable of a teacher to allow wrong doing within the school and how to stop this would be to investigate through searching and screening. This leads nicely into my next point about safe guarding.

The power to discipline beyond the school gates - this had a strong link to safeguarding which I blogged and commented on in my previous blog. The governing body allows the head teacher to make the decision on how a behavioural incident that may have occurred outside school time can or will effect the student/students involved within the school environment. It is the head teachers choice if they feel the local authorities or police should be contacted, this again dependant on the incident. I understand that if an event has been reported to a teacher or head of department this should allow have some sort of action to take place, if the public are at a threat then this is when the police should be informed. Safeguarding other students/members of the public can be as important as safeguarding just school students within the school you are working at. In comparison to what I previously blogged, safeguarding has also the impact of dangerous events that may take place and how the head of the school and teachers have a responsibility to keep the crime rate within there schools to a minimal. Before I could only open my mind up about child protection with parents, as I stated before picking them up from school trips, signing a form to agree for them to go away - this all still is applicable but dangerous info-operative behaviour is also an area which I did not really discover until today. I think on reflection this was because what happens outside of the school gates shouldn't technically have anything to do with the school or its teachers, however commenting on what I have concluded this is dependant to the situation and how the school and fellow students may be affected. Although this is not completely relevant to my inquiry, I do believe that we should be aware of the policy and how we as inspiring teachers are expected to react. When we talk about behaviour as a whole, I have now understood that this can be a possible area for me to consider as to how I will not torralent any bad behaviour that could effect my inquiry, or effect other students who are taking part.

Codes of practice which are more relevant to teaching in the area of which I am focusing on, explores the different sectors of the Equality Act 2010 and how each of them apply to everyday teaching within the school environment. Firstly touching on disabilities, the discrimination act 1995 explains how each department of education should be able to prevent discrimination and allow equal opportunities to those that are disadvantages without an immediate effect on their individual learning. As I did not cover this in my previous blog, I have opened up the door to a whole new understanding. The Equality Act 2010 states that
'It is unlawful for any education provider in the lifelong learning sector to treat a disabled employee/learner as less favourably for a reason related to their disability or fail to make reasonable adjustments to prevent them being placed at a substantial advantage'. When I think about the dance department as a whole, I am more interested to find out the opportunities which can allow the student to feel enthusiastic about dance or is there a doubt in their minds that they believe may hinder learning and progression? During my inquiry, I hope to have a mixture of students who I may observe/ask questions to so it may be worth looking into how I can make the inquiry relevant to all students of ages and disabilities. 
When looking into the data protection act 1998 in more detail, I am able to compare my original thoughts on this with what is actual and lawful. In regard's to my inquiry I fully understand that any information which I may use from a student must have clear consent from them along with their parents. Not only conversation, questions and answers sessions but if I was asking to take pictures/videos to use for documentation or study reasons these must have clear consent from student and parent. To enable the trust that I am using imagery for purely professional reasons, in my inquiry I will also detail that I will dispose of all digital imagery once the course has come to a close. This is an important point to make as a student myself, I understand the protection act must be a strong focused area when it comes to codes of practice as unfortunately too many events in the current state of the world have been reported and can cause parents to feel un-nerved. 
In addition to this, looking at the safe guarding a little deeper, I feel that students must be able to feel comfortable in order for them to express the best quality out of them. For example if I asked them to take out a few questions and answer sessions in a dark small room with no body else but me, they may feel uncomfortable and not answer sufficiently. This is another area that I will take into consideration.

As I am still working on what my set inquiry will be, I feel that a deeper knowledge of the codes of practice within the school environment will help me outline a safe and effective plan. When looking at the points made by the department of education teachers standards, it outlines in numbers what every teacher 'must' do. In the part 2 of this document it outlines what the teacher is 'expected' to do. Please see below the extract of the documentation which i am referring to;
  1. A teacher is expected to demonstrate consistently high standards of personal and professional conduct. The following statements define the behaviour and attitudes which set the required standard for conduct throughout a teacher’s career.
    Teachers uphold public trust in the profession and maintain high standards of ethics and behaviour, within and outside school, by:
    o treating pupils with dignity, building relationships rooted in mutual

    respect, and at all times observing proper boundaries appropriate
    to a teacher’s professional position
    o having regard for the need to safeguard pupils’ well-being, in

    accordance with statutory provisions
    o showing tolerance of and respect for the rights of others
    o notunderminingfundamentalBritishvalues,includingdemocracy,

    the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect, and tolerance
    of those with different faiths and beliefs
    o ensuring that personal beliefs are not expressed in ways which

    exploit pupils’ vulnerability or might lead them to break the law.
    Teachers must have proper and professional regard for the ethos, policies and practices of the school in which they teach, and maintain high standards in their own attendance and punctuality.
    Teachers must have an understanding of, and always act within, the statutory frameworks which set out their professional duties and responsibilities. 
This extract is a fantastic referral point for me as it reminds me how authority as a teacher plays a role in how you manage relationships with students on a professional but personal level. Within my inquiry I hope to emerge these factors and base the process on my understanding of the students but gage how the students can possibly effect the outcome of what I may be trying to achieve. As I have a close working connection with the head of dance within my practice, I understand how she must also be kept up to date, and I should have the full consent from her to take out work with the students. This is a key aspect to my learning and development so support from this source is key.

From this research please see below what I have collated and will process into my inquiry;


  • Comfortable environment for students best possible work outcome
  • Correct consent from students and parents
  • Bad behaviour which would affect others will not be torrirated 
  • Considerations and adaptations to be talked through with students
  • Working within the law and not to use plagiarism 
  • Consent from head of dance to comply inquiry on students

I have found this study interesting and believe I have a better understanding of the polices within the school work place. 


Bibliography 
Department for Education (2015) Teachers’ Standards PDF Document [Internet] Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/teachers-standards [Accessed on 21 October 215

Codes of practice in teaching and learning 
http://www.ukessays.com/essays/education/code-of-practice-in-teaching-and-learning-education-essay.php#ixzz3qL3xjO8T

Department for Education (2015) Behaviour and Discipline in Schools PDF Document [Internet] Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/behaviour-and-discipline-in-schools-guidance-for-governing-bodies[Accessed on 20 October 2015]

Data Protection and security within schools (2003-2004)
http://cnp.naace.co.uk/system/files/data_protection_in_schools.pdf




3 comments:

  1. Hi Steph,

    I also looked at the behaviour within my own work context and identified that it is vital that my inquiry does not undermine the Academy's behaviour policy.

    I came across a bit of a moral dilemma when I was writing my thoughts though. I want students to be able to express their views openly and honestly, but what if this compromises the behaviour policy? For example, if a student says something that is disrespectful or rude about a member or staff or students during an interview when expressing an opinion, how should I deal with this? Within my normal working day, I would absolutely ensure the student understood this was not acceptable behaviour and they did not do this again. However, what if a negative working relationship between a member of staff or peer is the reason for this opinion?

    How do you think I should deal with a situation like this? What would you advise in this situation?

    In this situation like this, I feel that I would remind the student that that kind of behaviour is not tolerated within the school and give them the opportunity to think about what they have said and give them a chance to rephrase what they have said to give their opinion honestly, but without being disrespectful.

    What are your thoughts on this?

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess,
      Great to hear form you.
      I agree that there is in behavioural policies a difficult understanding for us as working with young children, you might not know what will happen next. I would suggest that going into your inquiry you ensure that the individuals concerned feel comfortable, and more importantly they feel trusted. I recently blogged on the trust factor when working with others, and as we will have teachers or other types of influential leaders with us at the point of the inquiry, maybe its worth noting that they have the current authority over the children and this will help to settle our worries/concerns. I believe as we get cracking with our inquires, we will be able to have more of a feeling of how to deal with a certain situations through peers or colleagues and I will share any experiences on my blog if this will help you in anyway.

      Is our subject group going to be all the same ages? I am looking towards focusing my inquiry on how the community has spread dance awareness to all ages band abilities in my local town. I wondered if you could help me with your thoughts on this process as I look to link this title to engagement (which we have spoken about previously) and how comparing the young child, to young adult, to professional dancer, to an older adult.
      Do you think it would be easier to just focus on one age group or will a vast of ages be more interesting to work on?
      I would really appreciate your feedback on this.
      Hope your studying is going well!

      Thanks,
      Steph

      Delete
    2. Hi Steph,

      I agree with the point you make about 'trust' being a key factor in educational research. I was reading an educational research book yesterday by Wilson (2009) 'School-based Research: A guide for education students' that emphasised the importance of 'trust' in education research also.

      I think your sample group would be entirely dependant on the time and resources available to you within the 12 week time period. Realistically, would you be able to use a wider range of people in your sample in the 12 week time period? I think it may be more difficult to increase your sample size across ages, but you may be able to do this in your time frame.

      You would have to consider whether a large sample would affect the detail and quality of your research too. Wilson (2009) points out that there is just as much value in small-scale research for educational practitioners, as this allows them to build knowledge. Therefore, is a larger sample essential to the development of you knowledge?

      With my own inquiry, I think I will only have the resources and opportunity to use one year group within my school, as my inquiry cannot impact too much upon my existing work commitments. Unfortunately, this is the reality of carrying out a work place inquiry whilst working full time.

      I hope this is helpful. I'm happy to discuss this more with you on your SIG if it helps?

      Jess.

      Delete