Monday 14 March 2016

Teacher Focus

As I have highlighted how within my inquiry I would like to interview and observe a teacher at the community arts centre, I want to understand from them how as a teacher working there allows them to be apart of the function and purpose of the inquiry.

Looking into Module 3, I am beginning to struggle with the amount of literature that I need to find to contribute towards my findings. Thinking alongside the teaching route, I began to look at books which have been written which support the idea of a teachers influence. 

'The influences of teaching - reflections of teaching and leadership' By John Merrow

Although I found during this read it is obviously focusing on teachers within the curriculum and not too relevant to my focus on dance teachers within the community, however I understood what he was meaning by the importance of the teachers influence no matter what subject or situation. 
Merrow states that “the recipe for success includes some mix of strong leadership, committed teachers, an integrated curriculum, the willingness to challenge conventional wisdom and accepted practices, and the moral imperative to care for and about all of our children” (p. 154). 
The book itself is a strong way of calling out to all educators and is promoting the idea that teachers need to step up and improve the action taken to influence children in education. It stands out to me specifically how any teacher is seen to be a role model and has a responsibility to act on decisions, but mostly to be there as a influential figure to all.

Through my questionnaire and observation which I will carry out, I feel I should incorporate relevant questions to how the teacher feels a role of responsibility and are these standards set from higher positioned colleagues. Within any job role there will be a set description of what is expected however I feel as a teacher you are driven to inspire and influence students.

Leading onto more specific to my my inquiry, its has come to my attention that literature on my topic actually falls short in addressing what the community dance centres purpose and function means to any specified community. PDSW dance is local to me, and its community of practitioners I am envisaging will play a part in my future practise while I develop my freelance work experience with them. Therefore, it seems logical to undergo my proposed enquiry not only for the benefit of my personal stance, but also to other establishing freelancers in the South West of England specifically. 
There also seems to be a gap in any researched evidence to support the idea that whatever ‘it’ is that dance means is irrelevant. In the future, I aim to promote awareness of dance opportunity, therefore encouraging participation in dance through working towards increasing its accessibility. It seems necessary therefore to angle research to support teaching dance in a way that stimulates any opportunity for participation in dance, regardless of the dance subject or style, regardless of the dancers backgrounds, and regardless of the subject or theme of the work covered or choreography composed. Through the community organisation I so far understand that this is the idea, purpose of its existence, and I aim to prove this through my artefact that comes with apart of this module.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steph,

    I think you have identified a really important issue here with the role of the teacher in education of any kind. I was reading a book by Faulty and Savage (2011) which listed a PGCE course leader's views of what a teacher should be: 'Mediator', 'Role Model', 'Advisor', 'Guide', 'Counsellor', 'Mentor', 'Coach', 'Director', 'Leader', 'Supporter', 'Motivator' and 'Controller' were just some of the ideas listed. Faulty and Savage (2011) then asked the question, 'How many of these roles have you fulfilled recently?' (p. 6). I found this fascinating as I could say 'yes' to the majority of these!

    I like how you have expressed your concerns about the limitations of the literature in terms of your topic area. Lisa, Lara and I were talking about this recently, and we said that some topics are more difficult to find specific literature. I believe there are many similarities between teaching in whatever sector. Of course, there are many differences too. This might be something interesting to explore in your questionnaires in your inquiry?

    In your last paragraph you discuss the idea idea establishing freelancers in your local area. Could this be something to consider when creating your artefact? For example, could this be your professional audience?

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jess for your helpful input!
    I will have a little look at the Faulty and Savage book as thus does seem relevant to my work.
    I definitely think when interviewing a more senior member of the community dance arts centre I will ask for more clarification on what areas are difficult and what problems do they have to solve on a regular basis. I guess for me finding out what works well and what doesn't feels important with my personal practise and involvement at the centre.

    Yes i like the idea of using the freelance dancers as my professional audience, I will look into this in more detail in the next few weeks.

    Thanks,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete