Monday 28 March 2016

Stage 3 - Carrying out inquiry and activities

I have taken some time this week to read back through reader 7 to check I am on track with my studies - as previously mentioned it is easy to go off in my own train of thoughts! 
On page 13 it shows a diagram of an arrow representing different stages of module 3. At the moment I feel as though I am comfortably moving on to Stage 3, with a slight focus still on the stage 2 literature. I feel there isn't a way of putting a complete stop to finding new literature to put towards my final work and I am enjoying the reads and current findings which I am blogging about. 

Having worked on my interview questions and had feedback from my tutor, I felt my first interview was ready to take place with the Youth and Dance Education Coordinator at the PDSW. 

How did the interview go and where did it take place?

I felt overall the interview went really well and I learnt a lot from it. It took place at the Pavilion Dance South West location in Bournemouth in the communal cafe area at the front entrance. It was a quiet time of day which meant I was able to focus on the interview and not be distracted by any external factors. I asked permission to record the interview on my voice recording app on my smart phone so that I did not miss out on any specific detail. I am very happy that I did this due to validity of the research and also quality of the answers are raw and genuine. 

What did I learn from this type of research tool?

From taking out the interview I learnt that from one question you are able to receive a lot of information as apposed to a yes/no answer in a questionnaire. It enabled the process to flow more like a conversation and became relaxed and not a intense situation which some research tools can sometimes create. During the conversation I was able to pick up on little tips that will help me understand more about what the centre is trying to achieve and more importantly how it does so. For example, I was always referring to it as a 'dance centre' and she was quick to correct me in saying they always prefer for it to be referred to as 'the dance house'. It makes it more personal, and in fact more welcoming - i think. 
I also learnt that I was able to get more information from one question that originally anticipated - for example, when i asked the question and it was responded to but i wasn't quite sure what she meant, i was able to ask her to elaborate more on that to allow me to understand which again in an questionnaire i wouldn't be able to.


From this interview I have lots of qualitative data to begin to analyse which I predict will take some time, however what is handy is that sue to recording the interview, I am able to stop and play it as many times as possible. For ethical reasons I did make my interviewee aware that after my course has finished I will be deleting the data from my phone as it will only be used for research purposes.

More Literature!!

Kindly, my interviewee suggested some more reading to look at, as she grasped the concept of my idea and believed the following authors would come in handy for my community dance based work. 
Diane Amans and Rosemary Lee were the two names which she gave me and after looking them both up, it seems that community dance influences such as these have been a ever growing help to those involved in community dance work, such like employees at PFDSW.

I look to write up more about these to in more detail tomorrow as I feel there its lots more reading to be done and i want to be able to specifically relate this to my inquiry question of;
What is the purpose of a dance house like PDSW in the local community?




4 comments:

  1. Hi Steph,

    I like how you have reflected upon your interview in great detail. Are you planning to carry out more interviews? If so, I think this reflection will really help you.

    Similarly to your conversation about literature with your participant, I have found that the professional conversations that I have had after the interviews have been really interesting. I have been recording these in my Learning Journal as part of my inquiry process.

    Have you found any more interesting literature on this topic? How are you getting on with your inquiry?

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie - yes get in touch for a 1-1 - sounds like a very useful process for you - build on these sources for your review of literature in your Critical Review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent and nice post. It will beneficial for everyone. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post. Avail No 1 Dissertation Help UK from certified PhD writers. It is extremely helpful for me. You can email us at info@ukdissertationhelp.co.uk or Phone Number - 020 8144 9988.

    Visit here:- Dissertation Help

    ReplyDelete