Tuesday 6 October 2015

Disciplinary context in the arts

Types of knowledge that researchers talk about is commonly associated with you in your work place. Everyone 'should' have a basic knowledge within their practise however, in the Reader 4 it goes deeper into the disciplinary and transdiciplinary context's within the arts and how I can relate to my professional practise. I have had a little look over the web and found two descriptions on wikipedia which I wanted to blog. It helped me understand the terms a little better.

Definitions;
Academic Discipline;

An academic discipline is a branch of knowledge. It incorporates expertise, people, projects, communities, challenges, studies, inquiry, and research areas that are strongly associated with a given academic discipline. For example, the branches of science are commonly referred to as the scientific disciplines

Transdisciplinary;

Transdisciplinarity connotes a research strategy that crosses many disciplinary boundaries to create a holistic approach. It applies to research efforts focused on problems that cross the boundaries of two or more disciplines, such as research on effective information systems for biomedical research (see bioinformatics), and can refer to concepts or methods that were originally developed by one discipline, but are now used by several others, such as ethnography, a field research method originally developed in anthropology but now widely used by other disciplines.

Kreber (2009 pg16), describes knowledge as a whole and then what disciplines do in order for an individual to succeed using their knowledge. ' Knowledge of how different disciplines function, that is, how they articulate a problem, investigate it, and report on the outcomes, and knowledge of the value that guide thinking and practising, provides students with a wider repertoire of learning tools which so clearly and advantage in a complex world.' Kreber (2009 pg16).  Relating this to teaching, I admire the knowledge that the school teachers have at St Peters, day to day they are articulating problems, investigating and then working on a suitable outcome with students. Whether it be troubled students who do not want to work, or on the other hand, pushing students who want to succeed.
The modes of a scientific inquiry taken out by Gibbons (1994), outline the different skills that are required through experience and approaches that are used. 

On page 12 of the reader, it asks questions to us that are relating to these disciplines.
Do you work within a disciplinary context in the arts or is your situation more transdiscplinary?

As I work within two different sectors of dance, I would say that I work within a more transdisciplinary because I am continually crossing bouadaries from one are to another. Because the ST Peters school and PDSW are totally different organisations, they have problems which are different, therefore different knowledge is required from my peers. 

What do you know?

I know that from just assisting at the school and PDSW, I do not have full control over situations however as I observe I realise that the differences that are needed within the knowledge for the two which can help me as an individual gain experience that others may not have. I know that when teaching a young male student dance who has to be there because its stated in the school timetable will be more challenging to say teaching a male who has chosen to join in a class in his own free time. I have to have the ability to adapt my knowledge into practise.

How do I know it?

From speaking to other students on the BAPPs course, relating my theories back to the teacher at the school and co-workers at the PDSW, I know that being level headed within the industry is what will lead to success. As the Reader outlines, a dance teacher who owns her own school will have the knowledge of dance because that is her passion which she has chosen to fulfil. She will also have to have the business and management qualities in order to make a successful dance school run and operate. In comparison, a dance teacher in a school will have to have the same passion and knowledge of dance to that of the lady who owns her own school, however this teacher will have to apply knowledge of understanding and practicing education which is not something you necessarily think about needing.
When relating this back to my own practise I feel having a different approach to learning key aspects of 'knowledge' within the dance teaching world is beneficial for understanding the process of development.

Make a brief list of your competencies and capabilities;

Competencies - the ability to do something well

  • Communication with others
  • Technically fulfilling what has been asked of me
  • Teaching vocational Dance to all age groups
  • Promoting well being and activity to young adults

Capabilities - the ability that has potential for development


  • Engaging with the students that are not as enthused about dance - mainly at the school
  • More proactively working towards dance in the community - what can I do to help make a change
  • Confidence in my knowledge - get more involved in teaching, ask for more opportunities at the school
What Knowledge and Skills do you think you will need for the future? 

From reflecting over this subject, knowledge is such a vast subject and I feel there is so much more for me to apply to my professional practice. I hope to teach dance within a school environment which means the education understanding will be an aspect of my learning if I am to succeed in the future. Luckily I am working within that environment so have the opportunity to ask teacher for advice, possibly query any events that happen or problem solving so this can further my knowledge. The skills that I have gained throughout Dancing as a child and into professional dancing on the cruise ships and stage in london can be applied within teaching. I hope to use this as an advantage as I know as a student you need the drive and enthusiasm to continue on within an art and I feel I can give that to them. Having said that, I know I would like to have more opportunities to learn more syllabus training and how to apply this skill into teaching dance as it is totally different to what I am used to teaching at current.

As I understand more about knowledge within the workplace, I have begun to wonder how I can apply this to my inquiry. As I develop further into my questions, I have realised that my focus seems to be drawn to either health and fitness within dance, or dance funding within the school environment. Both subjects require knowledge and skills so I am looking to apply this within my research.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject!

Thanks,
Steph



1 comment: