Sunday 25 October 2015

Task 4D Literature related to my topic of interests

'A study of literature represents a search for meaning in the topic and will inform the academic arguments you will be making in your professional inquiry' (Reader 4 pg23)

I have outlined my findings below with short descriptions of each. I am still working on a few other literacy documents, and will elaborate on each individual finding in my next blog.

Hart hits the nail on the head when describing the purpose of reading within my BAPPs qualification. I am reading and researching for a reason, this is not necessarily for pleasure as I am trying to pin point the correct literature to prove my point as it were. This is still an on going process within my development process as I work further towards my inquiry. I have learnt how little I read for pleasure compared to reading for a reason, I love to read on holiday but other than that I feel I never have the time. Reading is big part of this course and my concentration and focus that works alongside with what I want to get out of the literacy.

My key areas of interest for my inquiry are developing to be;

  • Fitness within dance education


  • Engagement for students in dance education


  • Impact on students learning within the dance curriculum 



  • What can be learnt, about, and through dance within education


Having said this, I have researched a whole lot of literacy that covers these areas, but choosing the best analytical requirements is what I am still finding difficult. 

Fitness within dance education, is a vast subject as I haven't yet specified by what I want to prove/ get out of this concept for my inquiry. When looking into literacy on this subject, I found it very much a one sided argument. If you want to be a dancer you have to be fit? Well yes, but what I am trying to discover is the impact that dance as a physical activity can be a positive attribute towards students well being. 
I found a review on dancers fitness taken out by Jo Minden, (2014) which asks the question; 'Are dancers fit?'
Within the article she outlines the dimensions that are needed to classify an individual as 'fit' and then compared this to a professional ballet dancer. They found that dancers dimensions are;


  • Excellent power and muscular endurance
  • Low body fat and weight percentage
  • Good flexibility
  • Above average aerobic capacity


As I relate this to my keen interest, I would like to evaluate how all of the listed above can only be a positive attribute towards children growing through key stages of life. Having dance be taught within the cirriculmn can make students more aware of the importance of a healthy lifestyle, it is encouraging development within body strength, endurance, keeping body fat percentage down which will overall improve the child's fitness levels. Dance has been referred to as a sport because of its physical demands which is expected of the body.  I have found out through my reach of literacy who agrees and disagrees with this statement, and will outline in more detail the evaluation and my views in my next blog.


Maslow (1943) states 'people are motivated to achieve certain needs and when one is fulfilled a person seeks to fulfil the next one and so on'. He covers aspects of individuals motivational needs within the descriptive pryamind which you can see below;



This research that I took out from Maslow was allowing me to understand in a bit more detail about how individuals are programed to drive towards success. I outline in more detail Maslow's theory in my description of all of my literacy which you will find on my next blog. His theory was eye catching as one of my areas of interest is engagement of students and his theory of being 'self-actualisation' links smoothly with desire and fulfilment and how I will in fact use this within application to education. 

When looking through the national standards of arts education (1994), I stumbled across an article written by Ron Brandt. He explained that students within education, no matter what the subject may be have a way of behaving towards teachers which can then defer the teacher to have any enthusiasm and passion to teach them. Students can begin to loose any connection and priorities of what the teacher will expect of them and so then refuse to even try and participate. This has opened my eyes slightly more into how teaching can either help inspire or encourage failure. 

Judith Lynne Hanna wrote a well known book entitled 'Partnering Dance and Education; intelligent moves for changing time'. I am still working through the key areas that have been reviewed but what I found interesting and how it related to my areas of interest, was Hanna opens up an opinion of how verbal language and making dance have similarities. Each have the following;

  • Meaning
  • Creativity
  • Use the same parts of the brain for conceptualisation 

She has a clear passion for dance programmes, and the possibilities that this can create to young adults. This was a clear link to my work and connection with PDSW which has a youth dance company and openly see the opportunities that these have. The downside to this research is that the author of the book has a dance background. Like I have just previously mentioned, she has a passion for youth dance and so unfortunately reviews have been citical of her biased approach and feel it is one sided argument, at the end of the day it is her opinion. This felt a realisation for me as within my inquiry I must be able to back up my research and ideas with factual knowledge along with being passionate about my subject.

In order to remind myself as well as possibly educate you on my findings, I believe my next blog is there also encourage my SIG to ask and also help me with my ideas.

Thanks,

Steph





No comments:

Post a Comment