Sunday 10 May 2015

3B Theories relating to networking

It took me a while to read through the concepts of the Professional Network in order for it to sink in my mind and fully understand it. In the handbook it suggests you to give time for each concept to settle in your mind before beginning reviewing, this has allowed me to sustain the information and apply it to what will help offer me in my professional life.

Cooperation;


'cooperation -noun
the action or process of working together to the same end.'

We would all agree that in order to achieve any success when working with others, cooperation is vital. When looking at this concepts deeper meaning, it explores ideas which are closely related with the Game Theory. As previously mentioned, it took some time for this theory to sink in. I understood the history of how one person can succeed at another persons expense - I feel we see this a lot in today's society, however when it touches the economic and biology side of things it did take me some time to understand.

Axelrod (1984) identified the importance of cooperation and expressed it through the success of two books;
 'complexity of cooperation' and the sequel 'Evolution of cooperation.'
When reading extracts from the 'Evolution of Cooperation', Axelrod discusses the problem that people face when dealing/cooperating with others. If person A feels a decision will help person B but person B will not cooperate, there will inevitably be a disappointing outcome. However if both A and B cooperate and make the same decision, success for both will be the outcome. The whole game theory is suggesting that our behaviour will always be determined by our interactions with others within a particular environment. Axelrod is clear on how the patterns of interactions produce effective outcomes and relates this as whats known as the perplexing game of 'Prisioners Dilemma'. See below an image which is associated with this theory to help people understand the concept;

prisoners_dilemma

I found this image on google under the webpage http://www.acting-man.com/?p=34313 and this interestingly shows other images or situations where this is applied. 

As I have now got this concept fully in my mind, relating it to my own personal circumstances was quite hard as I wouldn't put myself to be only looking out for myself and dis guard others. I have be brought up in a way that I feel is the right way to behave towards other colleagues, and that's to be civil and nice to others I work with is very important. In contrast to this, there have been situations though my dancing career where i had to become competitive and think only for myself, by pushing to the front of the audition room in order to be noticed. I see this differently because all those other people in the room would have been doing exactly the same because we don't know each other, and at that moment we are not working together, so why would I be considerate to others? This type of side that comes out in me I always felt was necessary to get what I wanted... a call back, or a job. I wouldn't be there to make friends or stand at the back to let the other people be seen over me because I have worked hard to get where I want to be. Having had this thought in my mind I asked myself the question ' do I only act like that in a dance related environment because that is my passion?' for example I wouldn't barge someone out of the way when queing to get on the bus....I would wait my turn and if there's no room ill wait for another one. 

Axelrod said that 'a point worth stressing at the onset is that this approach differs from that of Sociobiology. Sociobiology is based on the assumption that important aspects of human behaviour are guided by our genetic inheritance' so I can understand why questions may be asked about a person acting in a certain way because they have been born that way, or do they just change depending on the situation.
Looking into the future I feel my networks that I am close with such as fellow dancers, dance students and teachers will help me understand the cooperation needed to succeed in challenges and tasks that may face us. 


Affliation;

'affiliation- noun
noun: affiliation; plural noun: affiliations
  1. the state or process of affiliating or being affiliated'

    Why do humans such as ourselves form close relationships with others? Do we need other people in our lives in order to be successful? Is it a comfort knowing that someone is always there and the end of the phone if ever you need them? 
    When reading up on affiliation in reader 3 I came to understand that the word itself has been formed in the field of social psychology, which brings me onto Crisp & Turner. They both deliver a review on how the processes through our brain is what allows us to build a network that we know and us as a help and support devise.  Crisp, J Turner,R.(2007) Page 266 asks the question 'why are we social creatures in the first place?' Before I explored more of the article I paused and thought about those questions which I have asked at the beginning of this affiliation section. For me, yes to all the above - I like the thought of having all my friends and family close by me or easy enough to contact if I ever were to need them and as for work colleagues, I personally would like to have a good relationship with them in order to succeed in what I do.

    The privacy regulation theory (Altman 1975) explores the idea how we use optimization principle as a way of balancing the level of contact that we want with others around us. It explains ' If we have too little contact, we feel isolated, but if we have too much contact, we feel crowded'. I can relate to this theory of affiliation when I worked aboard the cruise ships and I would find myself feeling very alone and home sick, and I would sometimes just sit in my cabin alone and want to cry because I felt so isolated. However on the flip side to that, when it was a busy day of rehearsals and you have been around the same people for 9 months day in day out, I just wanted to run away and be alone as i did indeed feel too crowded. 

    (O'Connor & Rosenblood, 1996) explained the differences in everyone's desire towards affliction by the 'social affiliation model' and this has been shown through whats known as homeostasis. When talking and writing about this theory within a theory, it has made me realised how biological terminology creeps up when talking about something that at first seemed so basic. Not that I didn't understand the terms used when reading up and researching, but it did interest me more coming from a sports science and fitness background. O'Connor & Rosenblood used a simple task of pagers that buzzed every so often and recorded the level of contact and desirable contact at the times when it buzzed. This got me thinking and I wondered if a similar study that could be used with working professionals would have the same results? This study could be performed to anyone during a day at the office.Let's say we broke it up into sections, for example mid morning, lunch and mid afternoon. At all the points during the day when did you feel the most affiliated? I find this interesting as the results of original study taken out by O'Connor & Rosenblood showed that most participants felt they interacted at a preferred level and this shows how they all regulated their own effective affiliation. Looking now ever deeper into the biology of this, Johnson and colleagues (1999) explore the meanings of introverts and extroverts and how this relates to affiliation. It makes perfect sense really, they explain how introverts - quiet, timid, grey people have a higher rate of arousal within them  and therefore do not crave lots of contact or interaction with others. Then you have the opposite, extroverts who have low levels of arousal and crave the attention and desire of lots of people around them at all times. As a performer I feel I am extrovert, as most performers are, and I do remember always ending a show feeling that amazing high and adrenaline rush because people were on their feet applauding me and all my other cast mates. Performers are used to being around lots of people all the time, looking at sports professionals, single sports events like long distance runners are always alone mentally, focusing on the finish line these are introverts because they do not need other people in order to succeed.

    This is where I conclude my understanding of affiliation, and I must say I have really enjoyed the reading aspect of this theory because there was so much to it. Personally I know I where I fit in, as mentioned previously through dance and performance I used the people around me as a safety net - if other people can do it then so can I. Making friends along the way has always been a bonus - I have friends who I met 3 years ago aboard the cruise ships and will always remain close because of what we achieved together. My professional networking may take me into different career paths and I think affiliating will play a huge role in becoming successful along the way. 

    Theory of connectivity

    Social Constructionsim;

    'Social constructionism or the social construction of reality (also social concept) is a theory of knowledge in sociology and communication theory that examines the development of jointly constructed understandings of the world.'

    I have often found myself wondering how things become apparent to us in everyday life. Who makes up or 'constructs' networks to what they become and how do we just understand them? Why is the sky called the sky? Because we were told that at school, or our parents taught us this. As we get older we understand our own understanding of terms within our profession because we deal with it every single day. That's why the first day at a new job is always so daunting because you are entering a new network where all new meanings are alien to you. However 2 - 3 months in you adapt and have added to this network. I have felt this way in every single job I have started. Its probably the worst feeling not knowing what to do, but once you settle in and start to enjoy it, you realise that you can't actually remember 'not knowing' what to do because it now all feels so natural. In relation to this, we all interact to make meanings, whether it is asking a question to understand, or contributing towards a new idea that will be brought into the business or company. This is a selfless act because it is our desire and duty to add towards this network.

    Crotty (2005) states 'according to constructionism we do not create meaning, we construct meaning. We have something to work with. What we have to work with is the world and objects in the world.' This is a statement which can apply to everyone in all walks of life. Having previously spoken about interaction towards the construction of a meaning, it can also been seen in the opposite effect and can be seen a pre-determination. This I know is also very common, whereby the person or people involved will have an ulterior motive which is the end product and they don't care what they have to do in order to get to it. This could mean mixing in and interacting with a network just make them look good. Some people are lucky to have that drive and determination. I also think these types of people must not have affiliated with others in a friendship way, but affiliated with others to get what they want. It shows how all these theories interlink with one another and makes the subject so elaborate.


    Connectivism:


    'A Learning Theory for the Digital Age'

    When beginning to understand the theory of connectivism I immediately thought of the Internet. I am finding that using blogs, google, and even social media sights to connect with other students has what has been the base line of my BAPPs experience. Having felt so lucky to have all these ways to connect and more importantly share with each other has really meant i have been able to produce well rounded and critically reflective work. Ultimately, this will have helped my professional practise already but even more importantly is the fact that it will continue to be aided as i am sure many of us will continue to share our views and opinions on any professional practise related issues. The theory of connectivism really provides an explanation about how networks provide the means for individuals to connect and learn from and within the network. It has therefore become apparent to me that learning about my professional practise comes from gaining knowledge form teacher to student, but me being the student i will have to modify this. 

    Siemens, G (2004) talks about connectivism form the very beginning of when we learn at school, relating our student and teacher knowledge vital to what will become a career to last a life time. Gonzalez (2004) states “One of the most persuasive factors is the shrinking half-life of knowledge. The “half-life of knowledge” is the time span from when knowledge is gained to when it becomes obsolete. Half of what is known today was not known 10 years ago. The amount of knowledge in the world has doubled in the past 10 years and is doubling every 18 months according to the American Society of Training and Documentation (ASTD). To combat the shrinking half-life of knowledge, organisations have been forced to develop new methods of deploying instruction.' So he is explaining how over time the life of knowledge has changes and developed so much because we learn from new professionals everyday. I know that for sure 10 years ago I would have no idea about politics, but as I've got older and read the newspaper or watched the news on the television (other ways of connecting) I now can outline the basics due to the life knowledge which I have gained. This will be apparent throughout your profession no matter what it may become. 

    I agree with how Siemens is pointing out that the starting point of connectivism is the individual, and that the personal knowledge that is fed into an organisation is comprised of a network. This would relate to me in all walks of life as the starting point for my passion for dance has had to come from me. The networks within dance are hard to get to grips with when you first graduate and feel ready to take on any challenge, when you find your feet and start to affiliate with the same people you feel connected in your world.


    Communities of practice:

    'A community of practice (CoP) is, according to cognitive anthropologists Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger, a group of people who share a craft and/or a profession'

    Absorbing all the information of the theory behind communities of practice, I have understood that in life everyone will have their own 'life communities'. So for instance, everyone has there different circles of friends whether it be through work, socially or family. Each play a part in order for these friendships and relationships to stay alive and strong. 
    Lave & Wenger (1991) suggest 'within a community of practice there is a reproduction cycle' so that no matter what happens you have to keep repeating what is successful in order for this success to continue. Through my background reading on this subject I came to understand this more when Traweek (1988) relates this to schooling. So for example as a new teacher who has just has to follow a new curriculum, they may find it hard to relate as they have new sources of information which they have to relay to students and in a way that helps them understand and more importantly pass there exams. Relating this to teachers within the Dance curriculum, I know that they have a handful of choreographic pieces which the students have to study and every couple of years they rotate the pieces so that the students do not study the same as those who did a few years prior. Obvioulsy as time goes on, you as a teacher feels more confident with this pattern and you enter the cycle which Lave & Wenger were referring to. 

    Through life communities you usually have contrasting reasons as why you may have come together with other people. Through mutual interests like dancing, acting, singing classes that you attend as a youngster which then develop into drama and dance colleges that you attend to pursue your passion for an art. The people who you are surrounded by whether it be teachers or students, all have the same desire and love for that particular hobby. Natuarlly you begin to form a community. On the other side to this, working in a bank will pull all different types of people together - not necessarily having and sharing the same interests but you have to begin to form a strong cycle in order to gain success. It could be working towards hitting a target or promotion for your team, either way that bond you form with your colleagues is essential towards your community practice.

    I have learnt that as I gain further knowledge towards the dance teacher route through this course and volunteering, I hope to start building on my networks and recognising my communities of practice and what they provide to help me in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment