Tuesday 5 May 2015

Task 3A Current Networks

Focusing inwardly on my own current networks, I would admit that over time it has most definitely changed. 

During my dance college days we were always encouraged to have the monthly addition of 'The Stage' magazine with all the information about auditions and prospects for aspiring dancers like we were. It was always a good read and I did used to enjoy it coming every month. Open auditions were usually advertised in there along with write ups on new shows that had hit the West End. I would like to mention that this magazine is one of many that provides useful sources and information for all types of performers, not just Dance. It certainly got its point across when you would be 1 out of 600 people that used to turn up to an open audition in the middle of London! I can safely say I do not miss those days!
As I left college and went straight aboard the cruise ships (this was due to a private audition held at my dance college) I was naive to the world of auditioning and networking that happens. Using the big wide web opened my eyes into websites and companies such as 'Dancers Pro' and 'Spotlight'. Friends of mine who were not lucky enough to go straight into a dancing job would tell me which sites were better than others but to join up to as many as possible in order to get as many auditions thrown out at you. So therefore the beauty that is Web 2.0 became my best friend that I turned to each day and dedicated most of my life to! Signing up to as many online agencies as I could and attending as many auditions as possible! Moving on from the Web 2.0 I then was lucky enough to join a professional agent in London who I would meet every so often with a new song that I had to sing or a dance class for them to watch to make sure I was still up to scratch, and this way I would be linked with auditions that they believed would suit me. 

Having experienced all these types of networking in Dance, I felt the most beneficial way to work was having the professional agent who almost did the hard work for you, because although the online ones are constantly on the go and always updating you, you may turn up to an audition and it's only for blonde people and your brunette! (This has happened to me!) During my dancing days this Networking was vital to keep up to date with everything that is going on in the business, and keeps you in the loop. Nowadays I would be using a totally different way of networking due to my career path changing slightly. 

Working within the fitness industry it has developed its own following though the obvious Web 2.0. For example, I have followed the trend like many do and set up a Facebook page specifically designed to promote and keep news updates regarding classes, Pilate's related information. This has proven to me that networking towards a specific audience is key to success. I follow many people on Facebook and Instagram who have pages designed to promote specifically towards there chosen area. One lady who I admire has worked her way through networking to promote her Yoga classes. This started with just short videos of sequences, or pictures throughout the day of different poses that she would be working on with a caption below which would usually go into some detail for people to try at home or encourage to google the closest place she would be holding classes. This then developed into a worldwide phenomenon that now travels her to all destinations across the world, where she will hold classes up to 100 people! Offering a range of exclusive retreats in Hawaii or a conference type set up where up to 100 people can attend in London. This lady is originally from Australia and has taken her own love for something to a business which travels all over the world. All thanks to her 1.3M followers on Instagram which allowed that platform for success. This kind of success is due to continual dedication to self promotion through the use of this networking which is what I admire. 

Having looked at and focusing on the fitness side of things for the past 5 years of my life along with Dance, it has allowed me to have two minds about how social networking is used. As I said previously I think that Fitness has and still is growing to be an important part in most peoples lives, new workout which makes you loose 10 lbs in a week, and all these ideas have to be available at the touch of a button. Having worked closely with dance students at the state school recently, this type of networking isn't really used in the same way. We have found in most lessons (especially GCSE) that the use of the Internet during your dance class is very limited. You may use it when you get home to explore and research ideas for the next essay which is due in but studying an Art which is more self aware. I believe in this particular circumstance the Teacher is the students network. Full of relevant information and ideas that the internet cannot provide them, or an Instagram photo can help with. I was witnessing a student struggle with creative movement towards a choreography task which had been set, after talking with the teacher and once given some ideas she was well away and found a sequence of steps within minutes, totally original.

As I am reflecting on all these types of networks that are available to dancers in particular I can see how the same motives are always appearing. They are out to target an audience and apply and deliver accurate information that will help the individual. Some are always focusing on helping find career opportunities and give you vital information such as travel, what you'll need to try and encourage you to have a successful day. Also you can find that with some of these networking devises, it helps and encourages you to meet others that have the same interests that you do. 
In an ideal world if I was to create a network I would like it to be an App which people would download on there smart phones or iPads to which they have access to instantly. It would dance and fitness based information to help others with the same interests. I would need the help of other professionals in order to make this successful, but I would love to focus on fitness in dancers and cover all areas like nutrition and health tips, along with audition info and contacts for agencies etc. You have to start somewhere when developing ideas so using the Web 2.0 such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram is a fantastic way to begin and like we have mentioned platform you into success. 

In many if not all walks of life people say the famous line of 'it is not what you know, it is who you know' and I believe that using my current methods of Social media certainly gets the ball rolling to know/follow the right people for what I am looking for. 
Focusing more on the teaching side of Dance, as previously mentioned having a close working relationship with someone who has had years of experience in this field is vital for  me to be able to learn. My current networking system is my old dance teacher who I one day aspire to be for someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment